Chanukah is now over; and I must say that I was sad to see it go. As I lit the eighth candle with the menorah aflame - I started wondering why we didn't side with Rabbi Shammai? (To half the 'climax' of Chanukah be the first day, with 8 candles lit and then work backwards from there). I went into the chag thinking, "Feh, Chanukah - a minor festival for traditional Jews!" and the simple two flames on the window sill only reinforced this.
This was my first recitation of Al Hanisim and the other Chanukah brachot, so the first night felt awkward. Also it was X-mas, so it felt especially plain. On the second night of Chanukah, the Chabad next to my office threw a Chanukah bash. It was very entertaining and was good to see. The crowd was mainly Israeli so it had an air of sophisticate to it. On the 5th night of Chanukah, (yikes, I feel as if I should be singing a song) I saw Avraham Fried perform which was sponsored by the Chabad in Hallandale. That was also great, with the bleachers filled with Jews from (most) persuasions. I then had some livety in my own community that was not directly related to the holiday. Back to Chanukah stuff, on the last night, I went to see the Moshav Band who was sponsored by HCS Chabad. It was a great show and a lot of fun; and as they lit the angular tradmark Chabad menorah high atop the building I was thinking - "Yes!"
It's hard to convey my true opinions without sounding hopelessly corny; but I was so appreciative of these things that were provided and made available to the Jews in South Florida by Chabad. Now unlike the "major" yontifs, Chanukah has no work limitations (which almost always includes driving) and for someone in my position who has no Jewish family to celebrate these moments in the Jewish calendar with, these community events are vital.
But is everything coming up roses here? In South Florida we are blessed to have a strong Lubavitch presence. I can not honestly say that the other shuls and organizations did not also provide festivities for Chanukah - that would be an outright lie. However many of these events were not things that a non-shul member could readily find out about or even events where I would enjoy myself (such as a child-oriented "Chanukah fair" that was sponsored by my shul). So Chabad came in to fill that void.
Those who are converting/converts or are baaley teshuvah past the age of 22 (out of college) are drawn to Chabad for these reasons. And yes, it does make some Jews clear their throat. Just in case you may be scratching your head, despite the numbers, Chabad is not exactly "mainstream" Judaism. Some Lubavitchers believe that Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneersohn (may his memory be blessed) is the moshiach. These meschichists are singled out as the black sheep of Orthodox Jewry. There are also those who cite arrogance from Chabad on other kiruv issues where they would "pick and choose" which Jews to bring into their ranks.
Who can pretend to know the ways of Hashem? Of course I will not condone any sort of belief that the moshiach has come; just like I will not condone any sort of belief that European culture is superior to others. But this goes on. Do I throw my nose up in indignance at America because there are White-Supremists who also call themselves American? Hashem sees fit to rain blessings on Chabad for their efforts - who am I to judge?
Of course we should have our opinions; we should cite improper behavior when it is done (yes, this applies to the Jews in Israel who humiliate those who desecrate Shabbos - Who died and put you on the Sanhedrin?); and yes we have the right to support who we please. But while the bad is obvious, why is the good so hard to see? What happens to the child who only hears criticism and no praise? What happens to those who are new to Orthodox life who hear disdainful remarks about fellow Orthodox Jews thrown around?
Let's switch the focus over to kiruv and hashgafa. I think what made that last night of Hanukah for me was when the Rabbi got on stage at Revolution and suggested that the crowd "separate the dancing a bit" between the guys and the girls. Now he said this in the most gracious way possible. It was received wonderfully by the crowd. They obliged, and finally I could let loose (within limits of course!). Now this is how I feel comfortable as a "religious" person. Going out and proudly being myself instead of hiding behind a label. In the force of numbers, you don't have to compromise but rather you can reinforce your practices. Bring the kosher food along, pass out the bottles of Budweiser and huddle together with the "kippas" on one side and the "skirts" on the other. Chabad seems to be experts at accomplishing this in the most surprising of settings.
I also must give props to Aish HaTorah and Ohr Somayach; but they are not nearly as accessible as Chabad is. And it's not that Lubavitcher Chassidim are so great; it is that Judaism is so great. The seeds for this ahavas for Klal Yisrael is taught to all Jews. Yet somehow we get caught up in non-important details like where you/your parents are from, what yeshiva you went to, if your hair is blonde, and if so, are the parents converts? Such pas nischt for Jews to do this to their own! As a Black women, I get a bit of a break in the Chabad Houses (and other outreach organizations is South Florida) because many who mosey in include Hispanic and "ethnic-looking" Israelis. With the mainstream shuls, the initial reaction is a bit more chilly (there are two exceptions to this rule I have experienced however). It is a shame that it is not the other way around.
I guess the point I'm trying to make, but sort of failing at, is that we should take Chabad as a "look and learn" opportunity. I am fine* with my current community and it suits me just fine - but a hefty "yasher koach" to the Chabad Rabbonim in South Florida who brought some Chanuakah magic home to a single aspiring ger-toshav who was a welcome recipient of it all.
* - Orthodox Jewish custom is that the woman takes on the minhag of her husband; so this may change if 1) I convert successfully and may change yet again if 2)I am ever blessed to get married.


No comments:
Post a Comment