Friday, July 31

Memories Still Standing

For a few weeks, I have been going around taking pictures of synagogues in the area (the picture above is the inside of my shul, Gemilas Chesed). Some of them are still open and active; some are churches (or other things); some are closed. I am not doing this because I like photography (if fact I don't know the first thing about taking pictures). Instead I am doing it to have some sort of insight, even if it is a souveneir photograph, of the Jewish community that is hosting me. That includes that community's past. When people tell stories of certain things, certain events, I like to have a tangible tie to those stories. Of course there are some synagogues, for which there are no stories for which anyone I know can offer to me. But that is ok, they say a picture can tell a thousand words.

Another reason why I am doing this is because there is very little information about these synagogues online. Even to get the teeniest bit of written information is hard, much less a picture. Some of the synagogues I had to find via word of mouth (they have long been removed from directories). Plus I don't always have free time to just go out driving around (many times I feel like I am on a treasure hunt). But the album will be a work in progress. I am as interested in what turns up as anyone.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

That is an amazing photograph. You are lucky to live in an area with many historic synagogues; they often have the most beautiful stained glass and architecture.

I have read several of your blog entries and I hope to go back and read more. Your unique perspective is refreshing. =)