
Dear Martin,
You don't know me (I was born 11 years after you were killed), but I would like to write this letter to you anyway. It is the least I can do - since the life I enjoy, the choices I can make, and the opportunities that come my way grew out of the foundation that you, as well as the other great civil-rights leaders who came before and after, laid down. No one knows if segregation and legal discrimination would have survived much longer, with or without you. Nonetheless Americans of any race could not have picked a better person to represent and give voice to the oppressed people who received treatment and regards along the same level of animals, right here on our own soil.
You are two years younger than my Grandfather; half of the wonderful couple that raised me. They are your contemporaries. They still hold the utmost respect for you and your actions. You and JFK. More than 40 years after you last saw the light of day, I imagine that their impression of the new millenia would mirror yours a bit. Pride in watching the Oprah Winfrey's and Condolezza Rice's of the country; disdain in seeing the perpetuation of the "loud, rauncy, and Black" stereotype. It took a comedian to bring to my attention that just about every street named in your honor is in the ghetto. And it took me seeing in flesh the most outlandish, wild, malt-liquor induced frenzy held in your honor in Liberty City - Miami, FL (but I've never been to Mardi Gras). But do not get discouraged. For every fool making a bad name for your people, there are 2 children playing in an integrated playground, 1 graduate preparing for their freshmen year at Harvard, a Black surgeon saving someones life.
But all this, you can find out after spending a day or two 'online' (that's what we call using the internet or "World Wide Web" which connects information and people via personal computers). I am sure you would like to hear a little bit about me. What can I say? Originally born in the Pennsylvania, I am now a Floridian. I am also a relgious Jew-in-training (Jew in some circles since I had a Reform conversion). Needless to say, I take particular notice of injustice handed out on superficial bases such as race. Thank goodness I have never in my lifetime been called a nigger, been brutalized by police officers, or prevented from drinking from a water fountain. But I still must combat the myths that all Black men walking on the street at night are criminals, Black people have a lower average I.Q. then their white counterparts, and that nothing good ever came out of the African continent. We are not there yet, but some of us are working on improving the situation.
Americans from all backgrounds have grown either apathetic or increasingly adamant about their self definition. We went from the lecture hall to the Wall Street trading floor. Everyone has a gripe. Jews do not want to be "white", gay people want to be married, and people want pets in their wills. I guess we have bad short term memory. Only 35 years ago, it was illegal in the Commonwealth of Virginia to marry someone of a different race; nonetheless the same gender! One day, we will have a Utopia when moshiach (the messiah) comes, but until then, it feels like American society went on a coke binge and now we are crashing hard. In the wake of all these other "groups" (with valid claims I'm sure), the injustices done to Black people are "written off". We are just too touchy now. Of course it does not help that some of our most visable "leaders" (imposters really) such as Louis Farrakhan and Al Sharpton, seem to have no problem insulting and alienating other minority groups, the Jews especially, that assisted the Black community in dire times.
You and I share two different relgions formally; but I believe you will agree that G-d gives us tests - and he doesn't put to much on us that he knows we cannot bear, right? When you sat in jail, did you entertain doubt that your suffering just did not make a difference? Did it feel like David & Goliath all over again? But still, you found strength from somewhere to pick yourself up, and carry through with your plan. I wonder why we have no public person to do this today - in any arena? Our world leaders sway whichever way pays the most. Our American President speaks half-truths. Our populace thrives on finding the faults in all people of stature.
Even now, Rev. King, you have so many lessons to teach. Although you can no longer walk out in front of the crowd and led us down the street, you proved that humans can change their destiny and be better men. Whether Black, Jewish, female, American, or Iraqi, when you acknowledge the shortcomings of the world in which you live and take actions to correct whatever you see is wrong; that is the foundation of miraculous change.
May we all forward on to Zion under his divine presence; speedily and in this time,
R.


1 comment:
Beautifully and eloquently written letter, you make a good point, despite the enormous progress mad in the last 35 years, racism, stereotypes and discrimination have not yet completely vanished.
Post a Comment