Sunday, April 23

Sonnet for the Disillusioned

They tell you early on, "You are what you are"
Dream your dreams; as long as it conforms to "The American Dream".
Can I be an Olympic gymnast? Travel wide and far?
"Sure you can!" is the constant reply. But are things really as easy as they seem?

You see, they wrote up there "One size fits all"
When they should have said "One size fits most",
To be a doctor, a lawyer, an astronaut is not everyone's call...
Yet when a son finds true happiness as a gardener, his parents see little reason to boast.

Why is this? Every parent wants their child to be happy, right?
But many parents also want their children to do what they could not.
Parents are wise, their guidance should not be seen as a hinderance or slight.
But parents are human too; culpable of passing on the same erroneous ideals they were taught.

What is "your calling", What do you want to do?
Can you find the key to your happiness? Do you even want a clue?

Every young child wishes to grow up and fall in love one day,
Love. That emotion that is taught to us in the movies we see, and the music we hear...
From early on, we know what "Lover's Eyes" look like, we know what lovers say,
We know that when you're in love, you can make it through anything - as long as your beloved is near...

Lost in the mix were the abuse statistics, divorce rate, and cases of doubtful paternity.
They never showed or sang about when the honeymoon ends, and the lovemaking gets old.
The pictures from the $12,000 wedding gave no clue to the vows' uncertainity.
True love is responsiblity and commitment - notions that leave media executives cold.

Oh look! Big Sis found a rich Richard Gere look-alike and everyone is thrilled!
Nevermind the fact that he drinks Jack Daniels like it's going out of style.
Drunk and feeling up her friends, Big Sis find her spirit and self esteem being killed.
But it's better than being alone and not 'in-love' even for a little while.

What is "your calling", What do you want to do?
Can you find the key to your happiness? Do you even want a clue?

Do you long for a different life? Are you begging for a break?
Do you believe in G-d? Do you think he cares?
Armani suit, Prada heels, are your nails/hair/breasts real or fake?
Is it fun being a 'head turner'? Do you ever get tired of trying to decipher the stares?

Were you created solely for carrying platinum cards and driving a Lexus?
I'm sure you have fun; I'm sure you lood good; I'm sure you are a good citizen.
But do you realize your dinner equals the daily pay of the waiter bringing it to us?
Or would you rather not be reminded about the gross poverty present in the world we live in?

No, you are right. I'll start giving to charity and the local bums.
Wait, my job? Does it help people? Not really, but it makes me money!
Do you have any idea that a true sense of purpose surpasses bank deposits of all possible sums?
But when you hear that Gail took off two years from her law practice to work in the Peace Corps, you look at her mighty funny?

What is "your calling", What do you want to do?
Can you find the key to your happiness? Do you even want a clue?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment!

So I thought that I would come by and see what you have going on. You have a very interesting story and it will be interesting to see how it unfolds. :)

As an English teacher I have to say that your sonnet is a bit long- they are usually 14 lines- but the point is well taken. What indeed do we feel is our calling- mine was to be a teacher or a rabbi- I figured that with my temprament I would make a lousy rabbi- so I took teacher by default. And you know what? I'm happy even if I don't drive a lexus or wear prada heels like the new Pope. But I'm doin' ok. Hope you are too. Looking forward to reading more. Bye!

Pragmatician said...

I had to look up the exact meaning of sonnet, but in any case it's a great post.
I could have written it myself only not so good.
I'm a little in the Shidduchim business and it's so true that superficial appearances and unimportant considerations for the marriage candidate are accorded more importance than the character and abilities of the boy or girl that is suggested.